Saturday, April 6, 2013

Family Album...Journeys!

That's a verb we're using.  Yes, Family Album Journey is hitting the road!  Faster than you can say "Road Trip!" my mom and I decided to head for the home of Family Album (the actual album) -- Savannah!  Our mission is to see the streets, parks, buildings and homes where our ancestors walked, courted, worked, lived and died.  And we will also seek out their final resting spots, the beautiful cemeteries.

Thanks to FindAGrave I discovered where my g-grandparents William and Florence Davis were buried and even could see photos of their headstone.

The elusive family member was g-g grandfather William Hunter Davis, our Civil War cavalryman.  He survived the war, but died in 1879 at the young age of 41, as I described in an earlier post.  FindAGrave didn't have a listing for him.  I guessed that he might be buried at Laurel Grove Cemetery since that is where his son was interred. But, when I first tried to find burial records for Laurel Grove North I ran into a dead end at a web page where there was a map, but no burial listings.

I made a phone call to what I thought was Bonaventure cemetery and instead reached a nice woman in the Parks and Trees department who promised to call me back.  And she did!  She walked me through the Savannahga.gov website to the database of burial listings.  A quick search and ... VOILA!  There was William (Hunter) Davis with the matching death date and a burial plot number in Laurel Grove Cemetery.  We will try to see both Laurel Grove Cemetery North and Bonaventure Cemetery as we have family buried in both places, but most definitely Laurel Grove.

(If my link doesn't work here's the path: savannahga.gov > Community > Cemeteries > Burial Records

By the way, the Parks and Trees department takes care of Savannah's historic and beautiful squares that make it such a lovely city.  Thank you Marion in the Parks and Trees Department!!

No comments:

Post a Comment