Sunday, July 7, 2013

Maggie the Mystery Woman 2

As we continue with the Maggie the Mystery Woman of the Armstrong-Davis Family Album, I couldn’t help but see a resemblance between her and Annie Graham Davis. 


 

But, I’m flummoxed by Maggie’s identity.  I haven’t found any Maggies (or Margarets) in this Davis line so far.  Some possibilities: 
1.  She could be a cousin of W. Hunter Davis. 
2.  Her resemblance to Annie makes me wonder if she’s a Graham who could have married a Davis also. 
3.  Maybe her photo was mislabeled. 


In an attempt to date the photo I’ve been going through Savannah City directories to determine the years the photographers (Launey & Gloebel) were in business.  The engraving on the back of the cabinet card print provides an address:  141 & 143 Broughton St.


It's pretty time consuming to go through the Savannah City directories on Ancestry.  I'm lucky that some of the photographs in my album show photographs from the late 1890s that were taken by Launey's studios without Goebel.  By the look of the rather puffy sleeves on Maggie's dress, this photo was most likely taken in the early 1890s.

Still, it will take a lot more research to figure out the identity of Maggie the Mystery woman.


No comments:

Post a Comment