Friday, May 30, 2014

Notes from Maureen Taylor's full-day seminar

Back in October, Family Album Journey made a sojourn to a terrific full-day seminar put on by the Georgia Genealogical Society featuring Maureen Taylor, the Photo Detective.  I’ve purchased and read several of Maureen’s books and try to use her advice and knowledge when I look and share my own archival photographs.

Some of the new ideas I learned and plan to apply:

1.     Transfer my cassette interviews to digital!!! (Note: I finally contacted my “Virginia Davis”** cousins about these recordings.  They were very excited about getting them.  I did the transfer into digital. )Now I just have to:
2.     Upload and send cousins the digital files
3.     Double and triple check the source citations on my website, including citations for photographs from my own collection.
4.     Look again at Reel Genie

5.     Find some timeline reference books to enhance my timelines with historical and cultural context.

**I have two Davis lines in my family tree.   I believe they are unrelated, although my mom likes to talk about the "Twelve Davis brothers" legend she heard as a child, which apparently is a common myth in many families of common surnames.  My grandmother's Davis line was from Virginia, my grandfather's from Georgia, at least as far back as I've researched.  If genealogy weren't confusing enough...

No comments:

Post a Comment